Functions and Duties
A-Development of Hindi
1) Preparation of dictionaries and Encyclopedias.
2) Preparation of comparative grammar of Hindi and other Indian Languages.
3) Publication of popular books in collaboration with publishers.
4) Coordination of work in the field of development of Hindi language and
5) Literature being undertaken by Universities and Institutions of higher learning.
1) Standardization of Devnagari Script.
2) Parivardhit Devnagari-Development and propagation.
3) Preparation of select writings in Indian languages in diglot form.
C-Promotion of Hindi
1) Preparation of bilingual primers.
2) Preparation of Hindi Primers for foreigners.
3) Preparation of CDs/DVDs of various lessons.
4) Free distribution of Hindi books to non-Hindi Speaking areas.
5) Hindi information center.
1) Bhasha (Bi-monthly)
1) Lecture tours of Hindi scholars.
2) Study tours of Hindi students of non-Hindi Speaking areas.
3) Workshop for new writers (Shivir)
4) Organizing National Seminars
5) Research Scholars Tour Grants
1) Hinditarbhashi Hindi Lekhak Puraskar
2) Shiksha Puraskar
G-work connected with recognition of Hindi Examinations.
H-Correspondence courses in Hindi.
1) Prabodh, Praveen, Pragya
2) Hindi Certificate
3) Hindi Diploma
4) Advance Hindi Diploma
5) Civil Services Hindi Course
I-Financial Assistance To Voluntary Hindi Organisations for the promotion of Hindi
1) Financial Assistance for the promotion and propagation of Hindi
2) Financial Assistance for publication in Hindi
J-Free distribution of Hindi books
K-Book Exhibition and Sale
Headquarters of the Directorate is situated at New Delhi. It has four Regional Offices located in Kolkata, Guwahati, Hyderabad and Chennai.